Saturday, November 13, 2010

GPS

I work in an insurance office and we STILL have paper Atlases that we give to our policyholders. Believe it or not, we do still have customers who request them!

  • GPS= Global Positioning System or Global Positioning Satellite  1-GPS

I do not have one! I’m not even the least bit excited about getting one either. Whether it’s age related non-acceptance of new technology or just being stubborn… I don’t want one and it is not on my Christmas list. I have always found maps fascinating and love to check out where places are and how to get there. I like to see the broad perspective of where I’m going and not from a little 3-6 inch square box that my bifocals’ do not want to focus on!

And the talking ones… why would I want to be sitting in my car behind the wheel and let this unknown voice tell me where to go! How do I know where they’re sending me? Why should I put my TRUST in that little box on my dash? I’ve heard the horror stories of those not on “real time” and/or not “updated” regularly.

I heard of one where they were directed down a road and ended up in the lake…it was night, I guess and they couldn’t see where they were going? And another where the road had been closed and the bridge was out, and because the GPS sent them that way…they drove around the blockade and off the cliff into the river! Go Figure… (Get the Point Stupid and NO I’m NOT calling “YOU” Stupid). But you do get the point right?

Of course, I do realize these horror stories have been embellished and sensationalized for our enjoyment… but could they be true?

I really think my problem with this DeVICE is that it is telling me what streets to drive on, where to turn, and I’m just not ready to sit passively behind the wheel and let something else into my life that’s “telling me where to go and what to do”.  I know, I know… I’m putting in the information of where I want to end up… but I just have this sneaking feeling that this “talking box” has a mind of its own embedded somewhere deep in its technical bowels.

Now, I will refrain from taking this further and making a spiritual application at this time. However, I’m sure you do see where I could go with it and I’m sure it has been done before. Let me roll those thoughts around some more in my “gray matter” before the words become complete sentences and “profound” thought!  :-D

If you have a GPS relax…I don’t care. Enjoy your toy, just don’t let it take control! Be aware of your surroundings and where you’re really going!

I do recommend keeping a MAP handy!  Your GPS could go down!

Happy traveling!

No comments: